I just finished migrating web hosts, the site seems to be fully functioning… and smoother!
I previously hosted this site with a company in the USA, because it was what I believed to be the most affordable package. Unsurprisingly; because I live in the UK, I encountered quite high ping (delay) when I wanted to view my site. The lag was most noticeable when I moved around directories using an FTP client.
I found that pretty agitating really, but I could just about bare with it because I had a clone of the site on my local computer that I could edit and toy around with and then just drag it into the FTP client. That obviously helps reduce the noticeability of latency.
However. Then came the first crash.
I opened up the live chat and asked the support representative why the IP address was unreachable. They responded plainly with the obligatory thank you message (and sadly without the use of grammar or punctuation). They then proceeded to leave me hanging for 15 minutes without uttering another word.
Finally, they responded telling me that the node had been shut down due to a suspected DDoS attack on a website in the node.
“Oh…” I typed, trying to coax out some more information as to when it would be resolved.
The support representative once again was silenced for at least another 10 minutes. Once he returned, he simply responded saying that he wasn’t sure when it would be resolved.
Somewhat infuriated, I decided to close the chat.
Eventually, after about 5 hours, the site was back up and running again. My previous anger had diminished by that time, and so I decided to not cease the recurring monthly payment for the hosting.
And then, a mere two days ago, it happened again (or so I thought). The site was inaccessible. This time, I wasn’t really up for contacting support again, I decided it was time to get some new hosting.
I contacted a friend on Skype who hosts a couple of small scale websites and asked what host he uses. He showed me. It’s based in the UK, nice and cheap, looks very professional. I created an account and paid the bill!
Now, I figure it’s time to move all the files to the new host. I try to login to my downed website (forgetting the flaw in my logic there) via FTP, it connected. I then proceed to realise what just happened, and check the site in my browser. However, it still appeared to be down…
I delve a little deeper and discover a flaw in one of my PHP scripts was causing the problem. Well, that’s embarrassing! Turns out this time it wasn’t their fault!
So, now I’ve paid for the new hosting but it turns out that the old one wasn’t broken. I decide to explore the new server (which was setup in about a minute of my payment). I click around in the default directory structure in my FTP client, and the ping is just phenomenal, almost instantaneous!
It turns out that the bill is just cheaper than the US host, too!
So there you have it, my story on how I decided to migrate my website to a new server! (Also, wow! This post is far longer than I anticipated!)